From LisVendor dot Info
Main offices: to come Email: to come
Library Relations: to come email: to come
EBSCOhost is the main platform for their products. A number of well-known databases can be found on this platform, such as Academic Search (Elite, Complete, Premier, etc.), Business Source (Elite, Complete, Premier, etc.), MasterFILE (Elite, Complete, Premier, etc.)
- EBSCO Discovery Service
- EBSCO acquires Salem Press
- EBSCO's exclusive deal with Harvard Business Review is found to include a clause that forbids libraries from using permanent links to articles from that publication (see the Harvard Business School Press vendor page for details)
- EBSCO and Gale argue over ethics of exclusive deals for content in databases (see blog posts by Dorothea Salo and Paul Pival, articles in Library Journal, and the thread from FriendFeed.)
- EBSCO acquired NetLibrary
- EBSCO acquired Criminal Justice Abstracts and Communication Abstracts (see blog post by Christina Pikas)
- EBSCO no longer letting Ex Libris include EBSCO metadata in Ex Libris' discovery service, Primo (see blog posts by Iris Jastram and Christina Pikas).
- EBSCO acquired H.W. Wilson
- Discussion over inclusion of racist publications in Academic Search Complete (see blog posts by Steve Lawson and Barbara Fister for details)
Notable Reviews, Opinions, Etc.
Pival, Paul. "EBSCO Fires a Shot Across the Bow." The Distant Librarian, 24 April 2009.
Murray, Peter. "EBSCO in Cahoots With Harvard Business Press." Disruptive Library Technology Jester, 28 June 2009.
Pival, Paul. "EBSCO Exclusive Content." The Distant Librarian, 18 January 2010.
Jastram, Iris. "Heads They Win, Tails We Lose: Discovery Tools Will Never Deliver on Their Promise." Pegasus Librarian, 20 January 2010.
Salo, Dorothea. "Scientists: Why Your Access to the Literature Is About to Get Worse, and What You Can Do About It." The Book of Troogol, 20 January 2010.
Pival, Paul. "EBSCO Content Clarification and a Mea Culpa." The Distant Librarian, 21 January 2010.
Lawson, Steve et al. "Gale: An Open Letter to the Library Community." FriendFeed, 21 January 2010.
Oder, Norman. "EBSCO's Exclusive Deal for Consumer Magazines Provokes Gale Statement, EBSCO Response." Library Journal, 22 January 2010.
"EBSCO and Gale Trade Barbs Over Exclusive Contracts and Rights to Distribution." Library Journal, 28 January 2010.
Farkas, Meredith. "Has EBSCO Become the New Evil Empire?" Information Wants to Be Free, 2 April 2010.
Fister, Barbara. "So Big It Fails." Library Journal', 8 April 2010.
Pikas, Christina. "Why This Information Industry Land Grab Is Different." Christina's LIS Rant, 25 July 2010.
Pikas, Christina. "Discovery Layers a Little Way On." Christina's LIS Rant, 21 January 2011.
Kelley, Michael. "EBSCO Previews Remodeled Platform Integrating NetLibrary Ebooks." Library Journal, 23 March 2011.
Lawson, Steve et al. "EBSCO Academic Search Complete Indexes White Supremacist Magazine." FriendFeed, 3 April 2011.
Lawson, Steve. "Racist Titles in EBSCO Academic Search Complete." See Also..., 4 April 2011.
Fister, Barbara. "Mixed Martial Arts Librarianship: Good Sense or Censorship?" Library Babel Fish, 7 April 2011.